This is the third annual update of the Bonds and Climate Change report and its Canadian supplement. Since the first report in 2012, the climate bonds landscape in both Canada and the world has changed dramatically.
Three years ago, bonds labelled as ‘green’ or ‘climate’ were a niche market pioneered by a handful of multilateral development banks such as the World Bank and IFC. This has now changed with the issuance of bonds labelled as ‘green’ or ‘climate’ growing rapidly in the past year in Canada and worldwide.
In the 2014 Canadian report, we find that:
- Breakthrough year for green/climate bonds, both globally and in Canada
- Canadian companies account for C$28bn - 5% of the total climate-themed bonds universe
- Three major Canadian issuers join the growing labelled Green Bonds Universe
- Province of Ontario issues C$500 million green bond, with plans for regular program
- 92% of Canadian issuance is investment grade
This report is a companion piece to the 2014 Bonds and Climate Change - The State of the Market report, prepared by the Climate Bonds Initiative.