Date: Wednesday, November 10, 2021
Time: 1:00 – 2:00 pm ET
View the recorded event here
The first event in our three-part health series:
This webinar highlighted findings and discuss implications of SPI’s new report, The Nature of Health: Integrating health considerations into nature-based urban planning, published by SPI in October 2021.
Michael Twigg - Report Lead Author and Research Associate, Smart Prosperity Institute
- Dr. Shirra Freeman - CPL Research Consulting and the University of Haifa
- Brian Buchardt – Urban Design Planner, City of Peterborough
Harshini Ramesh - Research Associate, Smart Prosperity Institute
This webinar from Smart Prosperity Institute explored the nature-health-climate nexus and supported the business case for using nature-based solutions to improve health outcomes in Canadian communities. While many health benefits of urban nature are well established – for example, more greenspace means a lower risk of respiratory illnesses – this webinar will explore the less-recognized, measurable impacts of specific nature-based solutions on human health outcomes, including changes in rates of mortality and morbidity. This webinar also outlined the challenges frequently faced by Canadian decision-makers accounting for the health co-benefits of nature, including:
- Quantifying health co-benefits of nature-based solutions in meaningful economic terms
- Ensuring health co-benefits are equitably distributed and build health resilience, maintain well-being, and support thriving communities
- Collecting the right local data to track how nature-based solutions contribute to positive health outcomes
This event was open to all, and was particularly targeted to an audience of governments, community-based and health organizations, and environmental stakeholders that are advancing projects to capture health co-benefits generated from nature-based solutions or seeking to integrate environmental determinants of health.
To receive copies of the report, subscribe to our newsletter.
November is Health Month at SPI:
This event is part of a series exploring the intersection of health, nature, climate, and the economy. Tune in to the other webinars in this series:
- November 10 – The Nature of Health
- November 18 - A Green, Healthy Recovery from COVID-19.
- November 25 - How can Health Considerations Drive Climate Action?
If you require any adaptive measures in order to attend this event, please send an email to email@example.com so that we can make the necessary arrangements.