Date: May 11, 2021
Time: 1 p.m.-4:15 p.m. Eastern Time
Cost: Free, but registration is required
Stewart Elgie, Chair of Smart Prosperity Institute, will moderate a panel on the next steps to be taken to create investable, and nature-positive outcomes.
- The Honourable Jonathan Wilkinson, Minister of Environment and Climate Change Canada
- Mark Carney, UN Special Advisor on Climate Change
Nature-based Solutions (NbS) are emerging as tangible opportunities to combat the twin crises of climate change and biodiversity loss. Investing in the protection and ongoing stewardship of Canada’s lands and waters offers a wide range of potential opportunities for investors - providing financial returns as well as positive Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) benefits. This event will seek to facilitate discussion among various stakeholders with representation from a wide range of private and public groups to address questions such as:
- What existing or new financial structures and investment vehicles need to be created or replicated from other jurisdictions, in order to attract additional capital, particularly from the private sector, into conservation?
- What are the potential financial, and non-financial, returns available and how do we connect the sources of capital to projects?
- What enabling conditions, including policy/regulatory changes, data measurement and metric development, and a clear pipeline of projects, are necessary to effectively scale the market for nature-based solutions in Canada?
Please join some of the leading international and Canadian experts from the financial, corporate, government, and non-profit sectors to explore these and other related topics.