Smart Prosperity Institute (SPI) is hiring a new Post-Doc or Research Associate (RA) in Resource Economics & Circular Economy. SPI is Canada’s leading green economy research institute and think tank, based at the University of Ottawa. SPI turns world-class research into a high impact policy change for clean growth and innovation. Our Post-Docs and Research Associates will work with SPI’s research team, its global network of academic experts (see the Research Network tab here), and its business leaders group on a range of environment-economy research issues, such as: clean innovation, circular economy, low-carbon economy, and how smart policies can drive clean growth in different sectors (agriculture, mining, manufacturing, bio-economy, building trades, energy, etc).
The open position in Resource Economics and Circular Economy will support SPI’s Director of Research and Circular Economy Director in quantitative research, economic modelling, and data analysis, in support of SPI’s growing research stream on low-carbon and circular transitions in Canada’s primary resource sectors. In addition to economic research, this position will also be involved in SPI’s events, communications and policy change work, to support broad mobilization and translation of knowledge from Canadian and international academics and researchers, and to enable the adoption of innovative research findings in public policies to drive low-carbon, circular innovation.
Title: Research Associate – Resource Economics & Circular Economy*
Location: Smart Prosperity Institute, University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada**
Number of Positions: Up to 2 positions may be offered, depending on suitability of candidates
Start date: as soon as possible
*Note that for interested candidates with a Ph.D., it is possible to explore a Post-Doc position with SPI at the University of Ottawa as opposed to an RA position. Please indicate in your cover letter if this is an option you would like to explore.
** Initially, the position may be remote, as all SPI staff are working from home during the pandemic. However, the successful candidate would be expected to relocate to Ottawa once normal office activities resume.
Research, writing and strategy
1) Assists the Director of Research and Circular Economy Director in economic research, modelling and data analysis, and writing of high quality original publications, reports, and policy briefs to ensure Smart Prosperity Institute becomes a highly visible, credible and effective voice on low-carbon, circular innovation in Canada.
2) Assists in the “translation” of quantitatively-oriented academic research by the SPI Research Network into reports and policy products (i.e. SPI Policy Briefs) that will reach policy makers and inform the development of innovative policy approaches to advance environmental and economic goals in Canada.
3) Assists as needed in internal and external review processes ensure high quality research products.
Data Analysis for Policy Research Planning & Outreach
4) Tracks major trends in academic research and available economic data sources – with a primary focus on energy and primary resource sectors (mining, forestry, and agriculture) in Canada and globally, to inform SPI’s work and ensure our academic and policy research remains academically and policy-relevant.
5) Assists SPI’s Director of Research by undertaking initial analyses of quantitative data sources, working with our academic network members and research partners on projects analyzing data availability, modelling approaches, and information gaps in primary sectors related to advancing low-carbon, circular economy policy development, and producing background reports to help catalyze new research initiatives among SPI’s network of leading Canadian and International academic experts.
Communications, outreach and partnerships
6) Assists in the execution of communications strategies for upcoming research products, including, as needed, presenting research findings at SPI events, and writing communications material to achieve high reach and impact.
7) Assists the Director of Research in effectively engaging the members of our Canadian and International economics and environmental policy academic research networks.
8) Helps strengthen SPI’s partnerships (with governments, businesses, and civil society) and fundraising efforts by assisting with background research and proposal writing, etc.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills
The work requires:
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your CV and a cover letter that demonstrates how you meet the competencies above to email@example.com, including the job title in both the email subject line and cover letter. The deadline for applications is December 22, 2020. Applications will be reviewed as they arrive and this position may be filled prior to December 22, 2020, if the right candidate is found.
ABOUT SMART PROSPERITY INSTITUTE
Smart Prosperity Institute (formerly Sustainable Prosperity) is a national research network and policy think tank based at the University of Ottawa. We deliver world-class research and work with public and private partners – all to advance practical policies and market solutions for a stronger, cleaner economy.
Learn more at institute.smartprosperity.ca