Prefer to read? Click here for the transcript
IN THIS EPISODE:
1. To divest or not to divest? [min 1:02]
The fossil fuel divestment movement is gaining momentum around the world. But is taking pension and personal investment money out of the oil and gas sector having the desired effect?
- BNN Bloomberg: “Three NYC Pension Funds to Divest $4 Billion From Fossil Fuels”
- CBC: “McMaster president looks to speed up fossil-fuel divestment”
- Financial Post: “Why CPPIB's new chief says fossil fuel divestment is off the table”
- New Yorker Magazine: “The Powerful New Financial Argument for Fossil-Fuel Divestment”
- Dr. Tessa Hebb’s Report: “Fossil Free Campaign Orientation Paper for University of Ottawa”
2. The second-hand clothing economy [min 13:07]
Look out, this isn’t your mom and dad’s neighbourhood thrift store. The second-hand clothing market is set to hit $64 billion by 2024. And it’s a critical foil for the massive environmental impacts of fast fashion.
- “The Secret Life Of Second-Hand Clothing”
- McKinsey Report (2019): “The State of Fashion: 2019”
- ThredUp: “2020 Resale Report”
- GoodOnYou: “20 Hard Facts and Statistics About Fast Fashion”
3. 60-Second Report: “Canadian Corporate Performance on GHG Emissions, Disclosures and Target Setting” [min 20:30]
- Check out the Report
4. “Five Other Things Happening in the Green Economy This Week” [min 22:17]
- Read the blog on the “5 Other Things Happening in the Green Economy This Week”
Have feedback on this episode?
Episode 13 includes music and clips from Eric Campbell, Audio Jungle and Zapsplat