Are you passionate about economics and the environment? Are you an excellent communicator with experience in bringing successful events to life so that they have an impact?
Smart Prosperity Institute (SPI) is Canada’s leading green economy research institute and think tank, based at the University of Ottawa. SPI turns world-class research into a high impact policy change for clean growth and innovation. We are comprised of a research team, its global network of academic experts (see the Research Network tab here), a policy team, and a strategic communications team that connects research and policy recommendations to key audiences. SPI focusses on a range of environment-economy research issues, such as: clean innovation, circular economy, and low-carbon economy, and collaborates frequently with organizations on aligned initiatives.
We are looking for a successful and enthusiastic Communications & Events Officer to help produce virtual events from conception through to completion. The Communications & Events Officer will support SPI’s Director of Communications and Manager of Knowledge & Partnerships in successfully delivering online events and convening opportunities that are well-attended, engaging, and high-impact. The individual will be tasked with the successful delivery of events, from liaising with stakeholders on event concept, to pre-event project management, to successful execution of virtual webinars and workshops in concert with the communications and partnership teams, to post-event reporting.
Title: Communications & Events Officer
Location: Remote – location flexible in Canada.
Start date: January 2021
Contract Length: This is a six-month contract with possibility to extend
Salary: Commensurate with experience
- Writing copy for event invitations and digital communications materials, including website and social media content
- Liaise with communications team to ensure successful event promotion and execution
- Communicate effectively with internal stakeholders to gather event-specific insights, stay current with changing project needs, and collect assets for event development
- Track and monitor key marketing and communications metrics, analyze data and prepare reports
Event planning and logistics
- Develop and project manage event plan for workshops and webinars, including workback schedules
- Ensure professional communication with presenters, including coordinating contracts and, when making appropriate travel arrangements for keynote presenters (hotel, flights etc.)
- Select service providers and negotiate contracts
- Liaise with various stakeholders, both in and outside of the organization, to determine considerations unique to each event
- Develop briefing materials for various event participants
- Prepare speakers/panelists/moderators and executives with briefing materials
- Organize event lists and invitation logistics
- Provide input into event programme development and develop internal programme documents that track most recent thinking on content
- Create and oversee event checklists, including invitation, promotion, tech support, briefing, and content requirements
- Represent organizational events at full-organization and team-specific meetings for planning and internal communications purposes
- Liaise with event participants on event day, including during the event
- Coordinating logistics with tech support, event hosts, moderators, and other key individuals leading up to and throughout the event
- Identify, mitigate, and escalate event issues as appropriate
- Moderate in-event chats with event audience and panelists, as needed
- Develop and deepen relationships with a broad set of stakeholders, including: internal communications, policy, and research teams; communications teams with collaborating organizations; government stakeholders; panelists and moderators; and others
Experience and Skills
- Minimum 2 years’ communications and event planning experience
- Experience with online/virtual events a strong asset
- Strong project management and organization skills
- Highly developed professional, interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills as well as attention to detail are important
- Experience working independently on specific communication activities and assignments
- Capacity to juggle competing priorities and multiple stakeholders
- Experience planning and executing events, on time and on budget
- Experience collaborating with communications teams/communicators an asset
- Experience using Google Suite, Mailchimp, Zoom, Eventbrite, and/or similar online tools used in virtual events execution
- Communications experience, including writing copy
- Knowledge of, and passion for, economics and environmental issues.
- Bilingualism (French/English) would be an asset.
- Detail oriented
- Highly organized
- Level-headed under pressure
- Thoughtful about various stakeholders
- A connector, collaborator, and relationship builder
- Passionate about creating positive impact
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your CV and a cover letter that demonstrates how you meet the competencies above to firstname.lastname@example.org, including the job title in both the email subject line and cover letter. The deadline for applications is January 15, 2021, but applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis so apply early. This position may be filled prior to January 15, 2021, if the right candidate is found.
ABOUT SMART PROSPERITY INSTITUTE
Smart Prosperity Institute (formerly Sustainable Prosperity) is a national research network and policy think tank based at the University of Ottawa. We deliver world-class research and work with public and private partners – all to advance practical policies and market solutions for a stronger, cleaner economy.
Learn more at institute.smartprosperity.ca