Smart Prosperity Institute (SPI) is hiring a new Communications Coordinator. SPI is Canada’s leading green economy research institute and think tank, based at the University of Ottawa. SPI turns world-class research into high impact policy change for clean growth and innovation.
The Communications Coordinator will contribute to a high-impact, agenda-setting marketing and communications team to advance an exciting new SPI initiative focused on clean regional economic development, green skills and housing. They will help to advance the knowledge translation and amplification of research to diverse audiences, including policy-makers, business leaders, and informed public. They will focus on content creation (such as the monthly newsletter), operation of digital platforms (website and social media accounts), partner engagement, and developing a communications plan in concert with the Program Director of Clean and Resilient Growth, and Director of Marketing and Communications. They will maintain the reporting tool to ensure the wider team can track communications metrics to inform decision-making and future tactics. They will also develop and maintain regional media relationships based around the priorities of the research program.
Title: Communications Coordinator
Location: Flexible in Canada, virtual
Start date: September 2022. Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply early.
Salary band: $51,950 – $66,139
1. Support communications planning and execution for release of research, and assist with project management for research projects.
2. Draft basic communication material targeted to internal and external partners for multiple platforms including social media, web and print. Write and promote stories with the objective of increasing the visibility of clean growth initiatives within the Smart Prosperity Institute.
3. Support the development and publication of social media content, with a focus on developing and editing video and visual content.
4. Optimize resources spent on events and prepares reconciliation of expense statements for Faculty of Social Sciences programming in order to ensure efficient spending and that the activities under his or her jurisdiction are delivered on time and within the approved budget.
5. Coordinate the promotion and registration process for events with the objective of increasing participation, in tandem with the Program Officer.
6. Provide operational and logistical support in the planning, development, coordination, implementation and execution of events and programs.
7. Contribute to the implementation of the Institute’s marketing strategy, advancing the priorities of the Institute. Maintain relationships between external partners and the Institute as needed.
8. Compile information, prepare and produce reports in order to evaluate activities, and to measure results and progress. This includes the coordination of all surveys following activities including debriefing duties, sending communications to various individuals both internally and externally.
9. Provide support to the team on special projects. Provide administrative support, including data entry, conduct research and assist with communications projects.
Post-secondary degree or diploma in Business Administration, Social Sciences, or an acceptable equivalent combination
Minimum one or two years’ experience in public relations and or communications
Experience in project management
Experience working with a variety of stakeholders as well as many teams
Experience in using website CMS, like Wordpress and Drupal
Working knowledge of communications tools and project management software and processes
Experience collaborating with a web development team, communications team and other internal stakeholders
Excellent organizational skills, ability to work under pressure and meet firm deadlines
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to solve problems
Excellent time management skills
Must be able to exercise professional discretion
Ability to write and communicate in both official languages would be considered an asset.
Demonstrated initiative and self-starting qualities
Required to occasionally work evenings and weekends
Highly creative and curious, with initiative to bring forward ideas
Attention to detail, quality, and nuance
Problem solver with initiative, while being not afraid to ask for support while learning
Time management and organizational skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects in parallel and high degree on initiative to drive projects to completion
Collaborative with a variety of internal stakeholders
Flexible and versatile, with the ability to elegantly navigate different brands
Passion for our mission
Please submit a brief cover letter and CV in one document, including any relevant links to past work, reports and publications. Apply for this position at the link below. This role will be filled as soon as we find the right person for the role, so candidates are encouraged to apply early.
The deadline for applications is August 12th but applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis so apply early. This position may be filled prior to August 12th if the right candidate is found.
The Smart Prosperity Institute embraces diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We are passionate about our people and committed to employment equity. We are at our best when everyone has a seat at the table, and when we are made to feel like we belong. While all qualified persons are invited to apply, we welcome applications from Indigenous persons, racialized persons, persons with disabilities, women and LGBTQIA2S+ persons.
Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions about the role.
Smart Prosperity Institute (formerly Sustainable Prosperity) is a national research network and policy think tank based at the University of Ottawa. We deliver world-class research and work with public and private partners – all to advance practical policies and market solutions for a stronger, cleaner economy. Learn more: institute.smartprosperity.ca