January 6, 2020
Every two weeks, Mike Moffatt, Senior Director at SPI, explores five things to watch in the green economy in a segment for Smart Prosperity: The Podcast.
1) In January, President Biden will be inaugurated. Expect to see the roll-out of an ambitious climate and jobs agenda which will present new market opportunities for Canadian cleantech manufacturers and send powerful signals for the green economy globally.
2) In the spring, federal and provincial governments will be releasing their 2021 budgets. Expect to see a number of climate related announcements and green economic recovery policies, particularly for budgets which come out after the Supreme Court decision on carbon pricing.
3) In May, the UN Biodiversity Conference will be held in China. We may see some countries commit to more ambitious conservation targets along with other nature-based announcements. Canada has already committed to protecting 30% of its land by 2030.
4) In September, the North American International Autoshow will be held in Detroit. Expect to see multiple automakers introduce new models of Electric Vehicles at the show.
5) Finally, in November, the 2021 United Nations Climate Change Conference will be held in Glasgow, Scotland. We will likely see some countries setting more ambitious climate targets, along with other climate-related policy announcements, that will send powerful market signals for the green economy.
Listen to the full segment, and plenty of other great content, in today's new episode of Smart Prosperity: The Podcast. Our podcast provides fresh takes on the current affairs, politics, research and business of the clean economy. New episodes posted every two weeks.